Tone of the book

I've been thinking alot about the tone of the book. I've been reading through some of my favorite self-help books and all have a friendly, open tone. They aren't dry, they aren't quoting other texts, they are open and the authors reveal themselves.

This confirms something the woman from the literary agency that I've been talking to - that self-help books can't be dry and academic.

I actually find it easier to write academic work - you have a thesis and you find other writers/research that backs up your thesis. Pretty straightforward!

But actually, this kind of writing needs to be more engaging. And this is harder I think!

Comments

Flowerpot said…
sounds a good idea beth and I'd be glad to help if I can. Feel free to email me on flower.pot@btinternet.com. Best of luck!

Popular Posts